Readers help students of all ages to read their way to better English. They can be used in printed or digital format, on their own or to supplement a coursebook.
Research shows that readers:
- Improve all four skills of reading, listening, speaking and writing – with the biggest gains in reading and writing.
- Boost language learning and recycling of vocabulary by seeing it in new and different contexts.
- Increase motivation and levels of engagement with enjoyable stories and texts at an appropriate level.
- Promote critical thinking and generate discussion of moral or ethical choices.
- Develop autonomy by allowing learners to choose when and where to read, and at their own speed.
Using readers, either graded or ungraded, gives students a sense of confidence and achievement. Above all, it encourages them to develop the habit of reading, which can become a lifelong source of pleasure and entertainment.
Big Words for Little People
Maths & Science Words for Little People
Oxford Reading Tree
Oxford School Shakespeare
Oxford World's Classics
Oxford Literature Companions